Mom and Stace

Mom and Stace
The greatest wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend alive!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sweet Pam

Experience has shown our family how very blessed we are to have the support of so many amazing people in our lives. This is one of those time we're definitely going to need that extra support, especially Mom. Last Wednesday, September 29, 2010, Mom was diagnosed with a malignant tumor on the top of her stomach, close to her esophagus. This would be terrible news to anyone and any family, and though we have had our rough times, our family feels a definite peace that Mom is going to get through this and continue to live. That's not to say the road won't be rocky. Part of the hard part was there wasn't much that we knew other than she has stomach cancer. Yesterday she was supposed to have an ultrasound guided endoscopy to try to see the extent of the cancer, then she was going to have an appointment with a surgeon I work for as well as an appointment with an oncologist up her in Raleigh, then meet another surgeon in Wilmington on Friday to see what all of her options are. Unfortunately, yesterday didn't go well to say the least. The doctor was unable to complete the endoscopy because he couldn't get the scope down to her stomach, partly because the tumor was larger, and partly because the scope they used this time was slightly larger. The procedure was supposed to take around 45 minutes, but Dad was called back to her bedside within about 15 minutes. Afterwards, she began to experience pain in her back and sides of her rib cage, and after getting X-rays and running some test, they found that Mom's esophagus was perforated during the procedure. She was admitted to New Hanover Regional Medical Center, more tests were run, and the doctors there felt it would be best for her to be treated at UNC. She was air lifted to Chapel Hill last night arriving around 10:00 p.m. Our family gathered around the ICU waiting room and waited for news. Tests were run, and her surgeon decided surgery was necessary immediately, so at 1:30 last night, or I guess I should say this morning, she was wheeled in to surgery. The hope was that they could remove the top 1/3 of her stomach, the lower part of her esophagus where there was some cancer present as well as the perforation and then reconnect the two. If that didn't work, they thought they would probably take out the cancerous parts, seal up the stomach, then run her esophagus under the skin near her collar bone and out into a bag. We were really crossing our fingers for the first scenario.

Dave and Amber went back to Amber's brothers house to try to get a little sleep and make plans for Olivia to be taken care of this morning, and Staci and Taelor came back to our apartment to get what rest they could as well. Dad and I had an interesting night of trying to find comfortable positions to sleep in in the ICU waiting room (which, by the way, is impossible). By 6:30 we gave up on trying to sleep and just continued our wait. Right around 7 this morning her doctor came out to report. There was cancer in 2/3 of her stomach, part of her esophagus, and a part of her lymph nodes. They had to remove her entire stomach, part of her esophagus and reroute it as I mentioned before. They put in a feeding tube, which will be in place for a year, and she has five tubes in other parts of her upper body to help drain away fluids. She'll need to heal for six weeks, then she's going to need chemotherapy throughout her body and radiation localized to her abdomen. After a year, they'll make her a new stomach made out of part of her colon. She had two incisions - one in the center of her chest, and one kind of along the line of her collar bone. The doctor expects she'll be in the hospital up here at UNC for 7-10 days, then discharged. For today she's being kept sedated, and the breathing tube is still in place since it was difficult to put in and they were worried that with her swelling, etc, if they took it out they would end up replacing it and it would be even harder doing it a second time. Dad and I were able to see her when she came out of recovery and she was very drowsy, but awake. She was in some pain, so they immediately gave her something for it and also to help her sleep and I was so glad. I know this is going to be an incredibley hard transition for her to make and the days and months ahead are going to be difficult ones. It's such a comfort to know that we have so many friends and loved ones out there to lend us their love and support. We would welcome any loving comments to the blog that we can pass along to Mom and at some point, hopefully sooner than later, have her read it for herself. We will try to keep everyone updated on anything going on with her as much as possible and we're hoping this blog will be a great tool in doing so. Thank you to everyone who has expressed your love and concern to us and we hope to continue to hear from you!

27 comments:

  1. You Brew's are one amazing family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all, especially Pam. Thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My constant thoughts and prayers are with you. Know that you can rely on your friends for anything you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure love you guys so much. Stay strong and hang in there. Know that I will be praying every single night for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Brew Family, Mike and I are just heartbroken that Pam has had to go through this. I am especially glad that she is at Chapel Hill because I have lots of confidence in that hospital. (Landon, Jenny's son, had surgery there when he was 2 years old and of course my dad was there numberous times for surgery with his cancer.) We want you all to know that we love you and are praying for you all. It is very hard to see the person you love with all your heart and soul suffer. I know having seen it with my parents. I barely slept last night after Heidi called Stacie for an update. (Heidi said that she loved Pam so much and kept thinking today of all the sleepovers that were held at the Brew's house when she was young. Kids know when they are loved and Pam loved Heidi.) Thank goodness Lindsey has written this blog because I will depend on it to keep us informed because we care so much for you all. Mike and I knelt and prayed for you all and we know that the Lord will help you get through this trial somehow. We are coming on Friday afternoon to visit you after doing our job inspections in Cary. We will call Reggie and see if it is okay to come. Until then, know that we are thankful for your family being such a big part of our lives and that we will continue to pray and keep you in our thoughts. Call us with anything you need for us to do. Love, Laura McLeod
    (I can't post this without using the work account.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey thank you so much for creating this blog. We are all praying for you and especially Aunt Pam. Know that we love you all and are thinking of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always been a member of the Pam Brew Fan Club! Pam is the dearest of friends and in my heart she, and all of the Brews, are family! Sending much love and many, many prayers your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love you and are praying for you and your family. Pam is strong and I know that she and all of you can get through this with the Lord's help. :) He knows this is a trial y'all can handle; otherwise, you wouldn't have it. Thank you for being such an inspirational family. :) Please let us know what we can do for you, and thanks for the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to express my love for the Brew family. My heart is full of sincere appreciation for the faith and love that I have seen in President Brew. He is the type of man that we all want to become. I am sure that of all the blessings in Sister Brew's life the one that is the most dear is to have a husband as wonderful as her sweetheart! Our prayers will be with you all in this time of concern.

    Best wishes,

    Walter Nichols

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Brew Family, We want you all to know how much we love you and pray the Lord will bless each of you. Thank you Lindsay for the blog. It will be so wonderful to follow your mom's progress through her recovery. Please give everyone in your family a special hug from us.
    You're in our constant thoughts and prayers!!
    Nancy & Vern

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brew Family, I love you all and will pray for you every night. Your family has influenced my life so much and I hate that you are going through this. Please know that I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for posting the update Lindsey. After receiving your text I was so worried about you all. I'm so sorry your mom (and your entire family) is going through such a difficult trial. We will continue to keep you all in our prayers. If you ever need someone to talk to you... you know who to call. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Craig ....
    Brew Family. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I sometimes wonder why the best families have the trials, but I know that the Lord loves you and blessings can come from these tribulations. I love you and will be praying and fasting for you! Your family is an inspiration to our family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our love and prayers are with all the Brew family. Thanks for being so free with the information and including us in your wonderful family circle so we can help bear the burden when the news is hard to hear and cheer with you when things go right. Please count us among the many who are ready to help in any way, large or small. We love you all.
    Brad and Becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the update, Lindsey...Bobby & I are thinking of you all in thought & prayer. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love you guys and are praying for Pam and all of the family. So grateful for this blog so that we can keep up with how things are going.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this blog Lindsey! Your mom and dad have been a big part of my childhood and growing up and despite the fact that we rarely see one another anymore, I love them just as much now as I did as a child. We will be praying for your mom and for all of your family and I know that my Aunt Sharon will be pulling any strings she has also. Please give your mom a hug from the Sanders kids and tell her that we love her!

    Lesley Sanders Boyer

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know sister Brew very well, but I know President Brew. I just wanted to say we love you all, and my heart is breaking for you. Our family has been praying for you also, and if there's anything we can do please let us know. My grandparents John & Pat Embley send their love and concern as well. Love, Stephanie Trochez & family

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, I'm praying for all of you. Please let me know what I can do to help.

    Especially for Taelor,
    We all miss you terribly!
    Call me whenever you feel like it...no matter what time - day or night. You know I'm always good for hugs, so if you need one call me... I'm only a couple of hours away.
    Gwen Canady

    ReplyDelete
  19. From Esther
    I send a coment yesterday all in spanis. I was hoping staicy will translaid. As you see for my ingles the reasong is obius.
    I just want to said hello to Pam and family.
    Our family pray for you daily, and Pam is in my thouts.
    If you have bloks you my try to check, if you have time, if my mesage in spanis is there.
    Love and prayer from us to the Brew family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Brew Family,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Your family is such an inspiration to us and we pray that you will feel our love for you as you go through this difficult time.
    Love,
    The Field Family

    ReplyDelete
  21. Reggie & Family,
    Just a quick post to let you know JR and I are sending some heart felt prayers your way for Pam and your family. We certainly know how you feel in this trial...illness is a test of our "courage"...as we just learned from conference this past weekend. We will post a note on our refrigerator, with Pam's name on it to remember to pray for her everyday. I remember you telling me that you did that for JR. And we thank you for all your prayers for him as well. Hang in there, Heavenly Father is in full control. Let Him take over...
    JR & Desiree' Bryant
    Wilm. 1st Ward

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for allowing us to follow the progress of your recovery and of your needs so we can help. Pam, I never got to know you very well, but what I know of you, I love. I love the strength the "Brewsters" have shown and you will need that strength again. But with the Lord's aid I know you can and will conquer this. Let us know here in Hampstead what we can do for any or all of you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have some cheerleaders down here in Georgia. We are rooting for the BREW FAMILY.
    Love you guys and we are here if you need anything. We are all fighters and she is going to win this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Please know that your family is in our prayers! Your Mom is a fighter and she will pull through this! Please let us know if there is anything I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  25. From Craig and Esther Goodson & family:

    We love to read the updates on Pam. Thank you so much for keeping us informed. We are so happy to hear that she is moving around more and making good progress. You will continue to be in our thoughts, prayers, and fasting.

    We were planning on making a visit this afternoon after Michael's football game, but Esther has come down with a cold, so we will stay home and keep our germs to ourselves.

    We love you all! May God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Brew Family...Wes and I are so sorry to hear about Pam's illness. You are all very special to us, so please know that we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Lindsey, you are doing a fantastic job with the blog! Thank you for keeping us updated!(Jan Needham & Wes Coward)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pam & Family, I don't think you know me and I am living in NC but out of the Wilmington Stake. My name is Ocalla Harper and I know that Reggie will know who I am as I have known all the Brews since some of them were small! Dianne Hess told me about Pam and what she and you were going through and I was very saddened about this! My husband and I, David, have remembered you all in prayer every since and I know that you probably have called the Raleigh Temple and put her name on the prayer roll. I live a little closer than most of the ones from the Wilmington Stake and I would appreciate the privilege of helping any way that you all deem possible! Please give your mom a "kiss" from me.

    ReplyDelete