Mom and Stace

Mom and Stace
The greatest wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend alive!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Moms will be Moms

No matter how bad a mom feels, I think there's some instinct that doesn't stop working.  I'll admit that I've been a little more emotional that normal lately (I wonder why!), and the other day, something that normally wouldn't have upset me, did.  I've been trying not to complain to Mom about anything since she's got enough to worry about, but I called her on my way home from work that day to see how she was feeling.  She told me some of the crummy stuff going on with her that day and then asked me how my day was.  I briefly mentioned what had me frustrated, then said, "but I could have stomach cancer, be sick due to the feedings that don't agree with my system, and have an infection."  I'm pretty sure there were more symptoms that I listed off, but I can't remember them all now.  Before I could even finish, she interrupted me by saying she wouldn't have me go through any of this for anything, that she wouldn't wish this on her worst enemy.  She said she'd much rather be the one this is happening to than any of us.  So like a mom.  She's actually said that several times.  Each time we say we wish we could take at least a part of this for her, she says she wouldn't want it that way.  Every day for the last few days, Mom has told me, "Today wasn't a good day."  As much as she doesn't like to complain about it, she has said that much.  As I've said in a previous post, she's supposed to have four cans of the nutritional formula every day, and the last few days, she's been doing good to get more than one in.  They just make her feel so miserable.  Since I got home last night, she's only gotten out of bed for about an hour, whereas last week, she was out in the living room or on the deck or porch quite a bit.  I'm worried about her becoming discouraged.  So...

I had the thought that she just needs constant reminders to keep her chin up.  When Ryan died, as you can imagine, it was a very difficult time.  A great friend of ours, Robyn Dixon, gave me a postcard with a quote from Mother Teresa that says, "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle, I just wish He didn't trust me so much."  I think of that quote all the time when I feel like Life's giving me more than I can take and I was thinking the same idea might be good for Mom.  I'm going to try to get several inspirational quotes and write them on the cups she uses for the ice chips she occasionally munches on (like jokes on a popsicle stick).  That way she'll be surprised each time we get her some.  We'll also put them around the house for her to see when she feels like getting up.  What I'm hoping is that many of you will share with us your favorite quotes that keep you going when life is at it's hardest.  We're going to need a lot if we're going to surround her with them, so please send them on.  Mom's sister, my Aunt Sherrie, sent Mom a beautiful plaque.  I found it on the table this morning, this is what is says.

What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer cannot
Cripple love, it actually
Makes it overflow.

Cancer cannot
Shatter hope, it actually
Clarifies what hope
Is for.

Cancer cannot
Corrode faith, it actually
Strengthens
Faith's convictions.

Cancer cannot
Conquer the spirit
Because courage faces
Cancer's affliction.


6 comments:

  1. Lindsey, I think you're a wonderful daughter and your whole Family are such great examples to each of us. Thank You for keeping us posted. I don't know you guys personally but I feel like I do. Your mom is such a special lady. Ever since I heard her speak at Stake Conference sometime ago I knew that. We will continue to keep you all in our prayers and if there is anything I can do please don't hesitate to ask. Amanda Murray(Wilm.2nd Ward)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite quotes is, "If we could only see the joys that lie ahead, we would wipe our tears and smile everyday instead". I hope this is what you want and that it helps. Tell your mom I said "Hi" and we love her. Chandra Wells

    ReplyDelete
  3. We continue to marvel in your faith & strength. We know not the pain or the trials that all of you are enduring but we see & feel your determination. This is a favorite quote that encourages me:

    God does not begin by asking our ability, only our availability, and if we prove our dependability, He will increase our capability.

    Love to each of you, Bob .& Kitty Henson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay, tell your mom that her hair is so cute! I hope she has some better days this week. My little saying may not be profound but it always encourages me. A visiting teacher made me a little wall hanging that simply says "You are loved." Maybe you could use that and then put a name under it of someone who loves Pam. If you try to include everyone you'll need an endless supply of cups! Put me at the top of that list because boy howdy I love your mom. Thank you Lindsay for posting the latest news. It means so much. You guys are in my prayers every day. Love and hugs! Patti Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lindsey!! We are so hungry for news about your mom. My favorite quote that I repeat to myself every day is from Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God". When I want to whine and complain about something, I remember that God can work miracles in our lives if we are still and patient and know that no matter what, He is in charge and in the end, all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Pam! I am sorry I haven't been on here since way long ago. Just wanted you guys to know we always pray for you and have you on our minds even though I am lousy at staying in touch. Love your new haircut and despite everything, you look really good!

    ReplyDelete