Mom and Stace

Mom and Stace
The greatest wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend alive!

Saturday, October 9, 2010

It's so early

Well, we've had a pretty good night, for which I am very grateful.  Dad warned me ahead of time that I might be up and down all night last night and to get to sleep as early as I could .  Getting to sleep wasn't a difficult thing to do last night when I was as tired as I was, even if I was sleeping in a chair.  I probably got to sleep between 10:30 and 11:00 and I was amazed that I wasn't awakened (other than just changing positions in the recliner) until 3:30 when a guy came in to do X-rays and had to put one of those protective aprons over me.  They went ahead and drew up her labs at the same time so they wouldn't have to interrupt her sleep again later for that and the two of us were able to get back to sleep fairly quickly.  When I woke up next, if felt like it was just a few minutes later, but it was really 5:30 and Mom was getting very restless.  She wasn't exactly excited when the nurses decided that since she was moving around anyway, that it was time for her to sit in a chair (honestly, neither was I.  They put her in the recliner I was sleeping in!), but that's where she is now.  She's just not comfortable in any position, so I guess it doesn't matter if she's in a chair or the bed, but sitting up will be good for helping her when we starts coughing.  They said they want her in the chair for at least a few hours and then later in the day they're going to have her walk down the hall again.  As I said before, she doesn't seem excited, but she keeps asking me, "What am I supposed to do?  What do they want me to do?" so I guess that means she's at least willing to listen to orders.  And in return I keep making promises.  "It's gonna get better."  "You just have to get through this and then we'll go to a spa or something and get you a massage and a manicure and pedicure."  It doesn't seem to mean much to her, but I can't promise her great meals when she gets out of here or even a sip of water for a while.  I wish I could.  She's trying though, and that's all a daughter can ask for.

So, you must be asking yourselves...what do you do with yourself when you've been up since 5:30, your Mom's mostly asleep (she wakes up about every 45 seconds and asks a question, then usually falls asleep again before the answer is all the way out of my mouth) in the only recliner in the room, and you've got the whole day ahead of you?  Well, apparently you blog.  You know, I never thought I'd be a blogger, but here I am and I find that's not only a cool thing I can do to help everyone stay up-to-date, but it's also been sort of therapeutic.

So here's a little quick side note on me for you before I sign off again...  This morning, after they got Mom settled in the chair, I was making a quick trip to the bathroom.  As I was stumbling down the hall, half asleep, I just about ran right into a guy coming around the corner.  This happens to wake me a up a little more and I noticed that just beyond the first guy, is a very good-looking doctor (or I'm assuming he's a doctor since he's wearing green scrubs with a lab coat over it).  What do you do when you see a hottie walking down the hallway?  You smile and say good morning of course.  Well that's what I did, but he just averted his gaze and walked a little faster.  I was kind of thinking, "Wow, what a punk, he couldn't even acknowledge me?  Fine.  I've got bigger things to worry about anyway."  Then I got into the bathroom and I can see for myself why he didn't give me so much as a friendly smile.  After glancing in the mirror and do a double take and I see that I've got raccoon eyes from where the mascara from yesterday has fallen below my eyes, I've got sleep marks across my face, and my hair is an absolute mess!  I don't think I would have bothered to say hello to me either!  :)  What I think is amazing, is that with a migraine that's been off and on since Wednesday (and is currently on and not going anywhere!  Grrr!), my wonderful mother struggling in the cardiothoracic ICU and all of the mind-blowing changes that are going on with her, I can still notice a good-looking guy crossing my path.  I guess the good news is that I cleaned myself up some and when then next cute doctor came into Mom's room, he said good morning.  I'm taking that as a good sign.  :)  We're going to have a good day today, I can feel it.

Can't wait to see those of you coming to visit today and tomorrow!  Be careful as you drive!  We love you!

P.S.  Dad has made a special request that when anyone comments, please sign your first and last name.  Some of you are friends of us girls or Dave and Amber's and sometimes there is more than one person with the same first name and it can be a little difficult to know who the messages are from.  We love reading them and just want to be clear on exactly who is sending them.  Thanks again for your love, encouragement, and prayers!

11 comments:

  1. Hello Brew Family,
    We just wanted to let you all know that we are thinking about and praying for you guys!!! Thank you for all the updates on your blog!
    We love you all,
    Nicole, Jeremy and Finn Maready

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our love and prayers are with you all and we may get by to visit as soon as Irv's fever and sinus infection clear up. In the mean time, we will stay tuned to the lively and informative updates you are posting Lindsey. So good to hear things are looking up and give your Mom and Dad a hug for us! ...Irv & Mae Gaines

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma Sanders(Alma) said again today to send her love, you all are constantly on her mind. She said if there is anything she can do she will.
    Michael and Wendy Carter
    thanks for the address

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey,Pam & Reggie: We just came across this on FB, and wanted to tell you from our hearts that we are praying and pulling for your quick and full recovery. Lindsey thanks for the blog, and keeping everyone informed...i am sure that its therapeutic for you, as you said...Regina did the same when Danny White was going through the toughest and darkest days, and it was strengthening for her to read the comments and posts from people that might not otherwise have a way to share a word of comfort, or love. So
    this is a good thing... know we think of you, your whole family...you've all been tested before, and we have been there too...we will be praying. Stay strong Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Lindsey, I'm not too good at directions, am I?!! the last post was from Donnie and Janet White.. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dearest Pammie and family,Please know that I am praying for all of you, most of all you my Pammie buddy. I'm proud of you for getting up and walking, I know it must be hard, but you can do it Pam. I know that you all know it but Heavenly Father loves you and knows you all and He will take care of you. If Taelor comes home and needs a place to stay so she won't be alone at night she is welcomed to stay here...I'm available to take her wherever she needs to be. Please just tell me what to do to help all of you. When you come home Pam I'll come down and stay with you and we can talk(like we always do). I love you so much Pam, I know you can recover and I will help all I can.
    Love you all soooooo much,
    Sylvia Willis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Brew family, We love you and we are praying for you. we appreciate the blog that allows us to be updated on Pam's condition. Please let us know if we can help in anyway. we love you Jerry, JoAnne and Jana Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey everybody, know that you are in my prayers and that I know you have the strength to do this. I love you and hope that I can give you even but a fraction of the strength Ryan has given me. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. see I didn't read all the way to the end of the blog before posting -- oops Anne Tyndall

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for keeping us up to date on your precious mother. We are fasting for her and your family at this time- I don't think a fast has ever been so easy for me. The thought of going without food for 24 hours just doesn't seem so long anymore. We love your family and will keep you always in our prayers. The Shingletons- Shellie and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linds, Good to see you are still continetous (sp?) of the good looking docs!! Just don't forget the power of the wink. ;-) I hope your momma continues to improve so she can get home, which I know is where she would rather be. Love to you all, MO.
    (I'm probably the only MO you know, right?!)

    ReplyDelete