Mom and Stace

Mom and Stace
The greatest wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend alive!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Nothing new.

Hey everybody!  I know, I know.  There seems to be more and more days slipping in between my posts.  I just hate to tell you all that things seem to be the same, over and over.  Right now there doesn't seem to be much improvement/change and Mom has been so tired.  This may be weird to some people, but before Mom got sick, I usually talked to her every single day.  I'd usually call her on my way home from work and we'd just fill each other in on the day.  Staci is the same way and Dave talks to Mom and Dad pretty often as well.  Now, Mom just doesn't even really feel up to talking, even to us.  I've still tried to call her cell phone every day on the off chance that she feels up to talking, but it's usually Dad who answers to fill me in on what's been going on (more of the same) and to say Mom's not really up to talking much.  I think I went a whole week without talking to her and she knew I was trying so she put some extra effort out there and let me fill her in on my Sunday.  What's sad is that I could tell it really was a huge effort just for her to talk on the phone for a few minutes.  I'm so ready for this to get better and I know she is too! 

Aunt Sherrie, my mom's sister/best friend, and I email a lot (well I have to admit, she's much better at it than I am.  I'm terrible about checking my email!) and last week she sent me a poem that I think really applies to Mom situation right now.  She told me a little about it's author - a young boy named Mattie Stepanek who was the poster child for M.S.  This amazing boy only lived to be 14 or 15, but while he lived, her wrote some pretty profound things.  I thought I'd share this poem that Aunt Sherrie shared with me.

About Normal
Right, I don't know what Normal is anymore.
That's because Normal has been changing so much, so often, lately.
For a long while lately.
I'd like Normal to be Okayness.  Good health.  Emotional health.  Medical health.  Spiritual health.
I'd like Normal to be like that.  I'd like Normal to stay, like that.
For now though,
I know that Normal won't be normal
For a little while.... But somehow. . . . sometime . . .  Even if things are not Normal,
They'll be okay.
That's because I believe in the great scheme of things, and life.

Aunt Sherrie suggested that we change that last line from "I believe in the great scheme of things, and life," to "I believe in a true and living God who loves me, who will always be there for me, no matter how not normal my life may become."  All I can say to that, is amen.

The one other thing I can think to update you on for now, is that Mom's chemotherapy has been pushed back.  The original goal would have put her starting in a week or two, but she's just not progressing as quickly as her doctors had hoped.  She went to her new oncologist in Wilmington on Monday and that's when that decision was made.  She'll also be coming up to Chapel Hill tomorrow for a follow up with her surgeon (Dr. V is what we call him because he has a forever long last name that I can never dream of spelling correctly!) so he can check her progress as well.  I'll let you know if there's anything new to report tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Sure appreciate your blog. We will continue to pray for her. She went through so much and I know everyone hoped she would just bounce back, but it takes time to adjust to all she has to and become strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey
    I need to let you know that Mattie Stepanek was a young boy. His name really being Matthew. He died in 2004. I saw him several times on Oprah, Good Morning America and the like. His disability was not MS but Dysautomonic Mitochondrial Myopathy. He was a major example to all who knew him or knew of him. He had 7 books published!!

    Now that I have done that ramble .....
    I as glad to see your post as I have been concerned and I have heard several others wondering what was happening.

    I understand the frustration of the struggle and want the Brew Crew to know that I along with many others are thinking about you many times each day and wish I could share some of the strength, be it physical, mental, emotional or spiritual with each of you but most importantly Pam. We love each any everyone of you and continue to hold you close to our hearts and always in our prayers.

    Anne Tyndall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne is so right! We all think about your wonderful mom all the time and pray for her daily! She has been a huge inspiration to many of our lives and although the road seems long, she will get through this! Many thoughts and prayers to you and the rest of your family also!

    Lesley Sanders Boyer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so understand what you are going thru...my twin sister had stomach cancer. The road to your "new normal" probably looks impossible loooooooong. But you will get there. We love you and your family and are fasting and praying for you. Sherry Rhodes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will hold you and your family in prayer. So nice to know that Mattie's poetry is a source of comfort and inspiration to you.
    Peace,
    Jeni Stepanek ("Mattie's mom").
    www.mattieonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try to be patient. Try not to expect too much, so you don't become disheartened. Recovery from surgery alone will take months.

    ReplyDelete