Mom and Stace

Mom and Stace
The greatest wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend alive!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Well, I'll be very honest.  It hasn't been a good Thanksgiving.  Every time I come home for the weekend, instead of Mom seeming slightly better, it seems like she's slightly worse.  She's so weak, she's like an old woman right now.  She hardly talks and when she does, it's pretty soft.  She's not getting out of bed much at all, and she wants everything quiet. She's just deteriorating.  It's pretty tough to see.  I think all day we've been pretty discouraged and I just didn't even want to do Thanksgiving, but we couldn't not do it either.  So Staci, Taelor and I started cooking and worked and worked and worked.  Staci borrowed a turkey fryer from the Howingtons and she and Dad tried to get the turkey started around seven, and right after that, right when were kind of starting to get out of our miserable states of mind, Mom's J-tube (feeding tube) came out completely.  Dad called the on-call doctor and he told him to take her to the hospital to get it put back in.  It's so discouraging.  It just seems like she's never going to get better.  I'm sorry to unload, but we really need all the prayers we can get.  Hopefully, someone can just put the J-tube back in and they'll be back tonight, but we'll let you know...

Now since I've whined and griped, let me just say I know I have a lot to be grateful for.  I had to give a talk in sacrament meeting last week, and the topic was "Men are that they might have joy."  I keep going back to some of the quotes I used in that talk and tell myself to cheer up.  One of the quotes was by Richard G. Scott and it said, "Some people are like rocks thrown into a sea of problems. They are drowned by them. Be a cork. When submerged in a problem, fight to be free to bob up to serve again with happiness.”  I keep trying to bob, but right now I feel like I'm half rock, half cork.  However, I know that I am a daughter of Heavenly Father and he knows what me and my family are going through and he loves us.  I have an amazing family, who have mostly been blessed with good health, good jobs, comfortable homes, and lots of people who love us (just to name a few things).  And I know at some point, I don't know when, but sometime, things are going to get better.  We just have to keep looking ahead and counting on all of our friends, who give us so much support. 

2 comments:

  1. your talk was great..be a cork, you can do it! Just don't let that "silly ol' Satan" let you keep from counting your blessings...your many, many blessings!! -Holly Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to remember the same thing lately Holly - silly ole Satan!

    ReplyDelete